To be honest, I'm sick of everyone talking about this kid.
But as long as we're discussing it, here's the deal:
1. Lebron James is a punk. That's the honest truth. He's been spoiled with so much hype and money since he was 14 years old that he's damn near basketball's version of Lindsey Lohan at this point. He should have never fired his first agent a couple years back and let his high school pals basically manage his career. Because he is so incredibly talented on the court, now all NBA owners, corporate sponsors, ESPN and the general public has to put up with whims of his entire entourage who have no clue what they're doing.
Look at this whole situation - everyone ends up looking bad.
2. Dan Gilbert was understandably heated. His letter was, of course, a bit emotional and far reaching but overall I appreciated it. Lebron and his 'management team' are really unprofessional and it's amazing no one ever holds him accountable. I've heard horror stories from people that work with Nike about how extremely rude and amateurish he acts in his dealings with them - but everyone still kisses his ass and that's how it's always been for him.
3. ESPN just lost a lot of respect, especially from the journalism community as a whole. They basically let Lebron James' posse take over their entire headquarters for a day. Madness like this is unprecedented. Jordan never did crap like this. This kid hasn't even won anything - who gives him carte blanche to take over the #1 worldwide sports network for his own self aggrandizement? ESPN is now catching extra criticism for letting Lebron hand pick and pay Jim Grey as the 'host' of 'The Decision' and how poor of a job he did (i.e. "Are you still a nail biter?")
4. Chris Bosh is not that good. Sorry if that comes as a news flash. He's basically Jermaine O'Neal like maybe 3 years ago. He's a lankier, less talented Carlos Boozer. He's going to put up 12 and 12 next year. Udonis Fucking Haslem has been doing that for the past 5 seasons and no one ever offered him a $100 million.
5. The Heat will not win it all next year. I don't care if they sign Mike Miller or whoever else. Maybe they'll get it together in a couple of seasons but it's far from over. I'd still put money on the Celtics getting out of the East over these kids at this point. They're missing a ton of pieces. And I'm praying that they take Derek Fisher with them.
6. The Cavs, of course, will also not win it all next year. As much as I appreciate Dan Gilbert's candor, let's be for real, Cleveland's never winning a championship. But truthfully, I'm not as upset with his audacious prediction and the spells he cast on Lebron's family as I am with the fact that he formatted his entire letter in the font Comic Sans. I doubt he'll ever apologize to Lebron but maybe one day he'll say he's sorry to the web design community as a whole.
POSTED BY gabe AT 1:48 AM